Monday, February 07, 2005

The Most Expensive Minute On Television

Since the Eagles aren't that great and I have an unnatural hatred for the Patriots, I mostly watched the superbowl yesterday because of the commercials. This is not new. Every year, more and more people tune into the game without actually watching the game, and spend their "watching energy" on the commercials instead. We all know this already. What's my point? The commercials, for the past six or seven years, have been getting steadily worse. They're big, expensive productions, to be sure, but so was "Deep Impact," and that was the biggest, sweatiest turd of a movie ever to star Morgan Freeman. Just because they're expensive, it doesn't mean you have to pretend you like them. I'm tired of these incredibly over-hyped superbowl commercials that suck more than Ben Folds. They're just plain bad. The best commercial of the night, in my opinion (obviously), was the Anheuser-Busch spot that featured the US soldiers being applauded in an airport. Now, THAT was a commercial. Who cares if it didn't tell you jack about the product? They're Anheuser-Busch. There's not a single person reading this that doesn't know what Anheuser-Busch makes. It's called "brand awareness." You don't have to say anything new about your company if you've got a memorable commercial that sells an attitude, image, or lifestyle. The attitude was obvious, and in contrast to the other loud and obnoxious commercials, the somber mood of the ad made it stand out in a crowded field of losers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it was the best commercial of the superbowl. My first reaction was, "Wow, millions of dollars for a spot to honor our troops." My second reaction was, "Wow - what a good advertising strategy." And now, it is the only commercial I bothered to remember, and whether the motivation was to honor the troops, promote their product, or a mixture of the two is irrelevent to me. It was hands down the best commercial all day - Our troops deserve it and so much more. God bless them, and God bless America.
~TT

4:52 PM  
Blogger John said...

Hooah, TT. I'll second that motion.

Quality find, Andrew. I'm going to string a link over to my page...

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home