Saturday, February 12, 2005

Now Here's One I Like

I just found this quotation, and I really like this one.

"All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income." -Samuel Butler

Ok, this is the last quotation for a while. I just wanted to put this up for the sake of comparison. The previous quote concerning success could easily be confused with one that is actually, you know, "correct" or "not a huge load of horse crap." This, on the other hand, is not LITERALLY correct, but is a humorous quotation whose meaning is based on an absolutely true idea. It's a joke, but with truth behind it. This is much more favorable to me than one that is serious in execution, but laughable in meaning.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew,

I believe you are getting at the concept of satire?

11:43 PM  
Blogger Vaughan said...

thatswhatyouthink- I'm sure "learning to communicate" is totally more than I'll ever accomplish in my lifetime. You completely proved my point with that comment. Thank you.

Doogie- Excellent point. If anyone's successful in that story, it's definitely Anne Sullivan, "The Miracle Worker."

11:05 AM  
Blogger Vaughan said...

Thank you, once again, for perfectly illustrating my point.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home