Wednesday, July 19, 2006

You'd Have Laughed

My sister was watching a show on TLC called "The Shrinking Woman" a few nights ago. It was about this lady who'd ballooned up to nearly 700 pounds in just a few decades, and then lost it all after a gastric bypass, only to leave behind a flowing cape of loose skin that would've made Jame Gumb cream his pants. But anyway, that's not the point of this post. They began the program with a short summary of her early childhood (because, honestly, who WOULDN'T want to have his/her life reduced to three minutes' worth of still pictures and inane voice over?) Apparently, this girl had been overweight almost since birth. By the time she was nine years old, she weighed as much as I do now. That point in her life, as explained by the narrator, was where she began REALLY gaining weight. You see, she started eating more and more every day in order to deal with the excruciating emotional trauma of being molested by her father. Upon hearing this, I promptly responded with what all of you were thinking as soon as you finished reading the previous sentence: "Gross. Who would want to molest a fat girl?" I have since decided that, however funny, that comment may have crossed the line. By no means do I intend to project the image that I am at all remorseful for my insensitive comment. On the contrary, I was proud of it. And that's the problem I'm having. I know you'd have laughed as well, but does that mean my sense of humor is mainstream, or just that I have a bunch of sick people in my life? I'm sticking with the latter, considering the fact that you've read this far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home