Monday, November 08, 2004

...Literally

OK, this one's been bothering me for a long time now. People, when you say "literally," it's supposed to actually mean "literally." It doesn't mean, "not literally, but instead figuratively but I'm an idiot and I like to use the word 'literally' to emphasize my point instead of developing a grasp of grammar beyond that of a jockstrap." Just so you know, the actual definition of literal is "taking words in their usual meaning, without exaggeration or imagination; matter-of-fact." However, there is a multitude of imbeciles out there who do not know how to use the word "literally." Good example: If it is below 32 degrees Fahrenheit outside, then it's ok to say, "It's literally freezing outside!" Bad example: If a man is doing well in a tennis tournament, the interviewer should not say, "You're literally on fire today!" The bad example actually happened. I saw it on tv, and I was lucky enough to have a pencil handy, which I promptly shoved in my ear to distract me from the pain. If I have to hurt that much, I'm gonna do it to myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home