Sunday, April 10, 2005

Ever Worry That Heaven Will Be Too Crowded?

I ask ridiculous questions. That's just what I do. I also say some things out loud that probably shouldn't have even been thought, let alone articulated and said. The title of this post is an example of some of the things I say on a regular basis. Here are some more of them:

"Do you think animal blood tastes different from human blood? What if it's a cold-blooded animal?"

"What exactly would the DA charge me with if I were to walk over there and light that guy on fire?"

"How hard would you have to swing a pool cue to break it over someone's back?"

"Can you be gruntled?"

"Look at all these people who are here to cheer FOR the Rockies. I think my IQ just dropped ten points." (I said that one waaay too loudly. I'm glad we left early, or I probably would have been jumped.)

"If you're a cannibal, and you eat a Chinese person, will you get hungry an hour later? But what if he just ate a huge steak before you ate him?"

"NASCAR isn't a sport. The drivers should be called 'profesional ass-groove makers.'" (Apparently, there was a major NASCAR fan in the room.)

"You know, I invented music videos. No, seriously. Before that, MTV just played commercials. I just said, 'Hey! Make a music video!' And they did. And it was awesome."

"Why does everyone with Down Syndrome have that same haircut? Is there some rule I don't know about or something?"

Those kinds of things get said every day when you're around me. They also get said when you're not around me. You just don't hear them.

12 Comments:

Blogger Hehoff said...

Actually I used to worry about living conditions in Heaven quite a bit. Since the New Jerusalem will be a physical city I used to be so scared that there would be so many people crammed into it that I wouldn't have any personal space thus making it Hell.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Vaughan said...

Wow. I thought I was just joking. Geoff, you're scary.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Hehoff said...

That comes as a surprise?

8:39 PM  
Blogger Vaughan said...

Well... Now that I think about it, not really. I should have expected something like that from you.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Hehoff said...

The problem is I am really not trying to be scary. That's a genuine concern of mine.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Vaughan said...

I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, how much space could a soul possibly take up?

11:26 PM  
Blogger Hehoff said...

Well, we're talking physically resurrected bodies in a physically defined city. That's the promise of the resurrection.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Vaughan said...

I know. It was a joke.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Hehoff said...

Joking or not doesn't the chance of living next to someone (for all eternity) whom you hated in this life scare the crap out of you?

12:01 PM  
Blogger Vaughan said...

In asking that, I think you've inadvertently raised some other fascinating questions. Will our new bodies retain all the same memories of our old life on Earth? Will there be hate and/or discomfort of any kind in heaven? Will we still retain all of our prior emotional proclivities, like being a generally depressing or generally happy person? Will heaven actually be so small as to force people to live closer to each other than they wish?

12:47 PM  
Blogger Hehoff said...

Ok, in answer to the most important of those questions, I think we have to recall everything about this life in order to understand why the next one is so great. That's the whole point of the fall.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Vaughan said...

I think I disagree. Why is it necessary to remember everything from this life to appreciate the next one in heaven? I would think that heaven would be a place where we know only the full presence of God and nothing else.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home