Sunday, January 15, 2006

Go Ahead

I'm sitting here reading the federal anti-piracy warning on the back of a CD, and I just can't help but smile. I'm sure that a little sticker with a vague warning about some sort of punishment under federal law is enough to keep kids from downloading the incredibly easy-to-find free songs from all over the internet. Just like the threat of prison time has completely shut down the illegal drug business, and the seatbelt law has rendered driving without a seatbelt a nearly extinct practice. Oh, I'm shaking in my boots, you scary feds. Please, please don't break down my door and arrest me for the dozens of dollars' worth of illegal copies of songs I have on my iPod. How about arresting some real criminals, like idenity thieves and Mormons? Do you know who is truly hurt by illegal music downloading? The artists and producers. All the factory workers who manufacture the discs and the sound technicians who work in the studios are members of unions, meaning they are protected, and have the option of changing their pay rates by striking at any time. It's those poor, defenseless artists who have to suffer the humiliation of only being able to afford slightly used Bentleys instead of brand new ones. Concerts are an artist's bread and butter, anyway, not CD sales. It's like a winner of "Survivor" complaining that his book sales have started to slump. Eyes on the prize, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home