Thursday, September 29, 2005

It's Willem

I was at King Soopers last night getting a movie. It was "American Psycho" (very good, by the way; I'd recommend it to anyone with a dark sense of humor and a strong resistance to vomiting at the sight of some pretty sickening gore. It's a really dark satire of the so-called "American Dream" as manifested in the yuppies of the late eighties.) It just so happens that Willem Dafoe plays a small role in the film. The guy at the counter who was checking the movie out for me turned over the DVD case and started reading it. Halfway through, he burst out, "Hey, William Dafoe is in this! William Dafoe! It's William Dafoe! He's crazy, William Dafoe! That guy's weird. I can't believe it's William Dafoe! William Dafoe!" I got the feeling that he wouldn't stop shouting until I said something back to him. I mumbled something under my breath. I'm not sure what, but it involved his head, some duct tape, a shopping bag, twenty feet of coaxial cable, and lots and lots of pain. Does no one look at the spelling of this man's name? It's Willem. WILL-EM. That's it. Two very short syllables. It's not that hard, people. He's not William. Read before you speak out loud. It's like this guy was rubbing his own stupidity in my face. It was the conversational equivalent of being forced to watch a McG movie over and over again, and then listen to a group of eighth grade boys talk about "how awesome it was when that one guy got totally smashed by that falling pile of flaming cars filled with gasoline and sparklers and hot chicks! Sweet!" It took all my willpower not to throw the DVD case at his eye.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vaughan said...

That's more than they require for children to graduate now. Nowadays, as long as you know how to put on a condom, you've passed.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

gosh i love that movie.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

..oh, and WILLEM Dafoe as well.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home